Wednesday, September 05, 2007

I am working at It's a Grind coffee house today since they have free Wi-Fi and I'm trying to get some writing/researching done. I was diving into my e-mail, when a lady in nurse scrubs plopped down next to me. As her friend ordered, she proceeded to pluck her eyebrows. At the table. After she finished up, she quite smoothly transitioned to another chair leaving her friend to take the hairy spot.

Can I get an ICK?

It's also been cool to watch the staff in here. They are so friendly to everyone that comes in, and it's obvious that many people return daily due to the staff. Comments like "How was your trip?" and "Wow you are here late!" and "Do you enjoy working in the sun, it must be so nice!" make people feel welcome and valued. They have fun joking behind the counter, but are also attentive to customers. Quite impressively, they don't get annoyed with customers less familiar with the chain. They explain the sizes, the shots, the ingredients without issue or annoyance.

It struck me that this is what church should be like to its "customers." What if regulars were greeted by name and asked about recent activities and routines? What if newcomers were gently coached in how things work, while making them feel welcome and making them want to become a regular? That would create a pretty cool dynamic where people would feel a strong sense of connection to God's people. Rad.

1 comment:

Uhmanduh said...

OK first, GROSS. I can't even believe she was plucking her eyebrows in public. I mean, who does that? What's next, shaving her armpits at The Olive Garden?? Weird.

Second of all, I think you are right on in your summation of customer service as it should relate to the church. When I think of the churches I was around growing up, they were like your ideal--like a family. I feel that's been lost in the urban bustle and post-9/11 isolationist tendencies. But I think applying your idea would revolutionize churches. I even think they know that, but they are so backward in the way they apply it--it's so intentional, when really the point would be to care for the person and actually KNOW them. Anyway, sorry to go on and on; the point is, you're right!