Tuesday, June 20, 2006

If Video Killed the Radio Star ... then I'm in trouble

I was fully prepared for another normal, uneventful day of work. Three hours worth of meetings in the morning with all going according to plan. It would a day not to be remembered.

But then... I got all brave and started going through email and answering the phone all willy nilly. That's when she called, asking if I would be the guest of the day on a syndicated radio program. She saw a press release I serviced on the upcoming readers awards I am coordinating for the magazine, and she wanted me to speak on the awards and summer book reads/trends in publishing.

Crap.

After a couple hours of freaking out before the fateful interview call, the interview came and went with minimal incident. If I’m really lucky, no one but no one I know listens to the Christian talk radio, and I won’t get any mocking emails in my inbox tomorrow morning.

One key problem is that a tape is being sent to me of the interview. This is a special brand of torture—listening to yourself sound like an idiot for millions (even hundreds!) to hear.

That's right. I'm a radio star. Watch out Leeza Gibbons and John Tesh … magazine publishing is so last week. It’s high time I hit the airwaves.

No comments: