Saturday, June 24, 2006

Trimming the Tree: a photo essay
(by: me)

I have a huge palm tree in my backyard. It's Florida, it's pretty much the rule.

The problem with my lovely stereotypical tree is that it produces some sort of non-edible fruit. First, it grows these pokey, spiney branches (that look DOA), and then out pops some green acorn-grape hybrid things.






This is all well and good except that these acorn-grapes turn orange and fall on the ground. They pretty much instantly start molding and smell like a mixture of sweet and stink. Then, these little fruit fly things come out of the wood works and infest my yard. Sick.




Last year was my first year in this house, and I didn't realize the plight I would soon face. So, I got to pick up hundreds of smooshy-moldy-orange-fruit off the ground. Delish!






This year, I had a better plan: to chop down the branches before the fruit had a chance to stink up my life.



Here's me cutting the branch. Where's my non-existent boyfriend when I need him?? Hmph.






"I'm not sure if you lost your mind or something ... but we're kind of INDOOR people ... What are we doing out here?" --The Poodles





After getting stuck about a hundred times by prickley tree madness, I successfully filled a giant garbage can ... and now my tree looks BEEEE-autiful once again:


IT'S OVER!!


1 comment:

Uhmanduh said...

Look at you, Garden Rebel! Yeah the poodles look like they enjoy a palm-tree fruit cocktail.