Friday, June 09, 2006

"To be a good writer, you have to be an avid reader."

I've heard that about a million times from people throughout my life--professors, fellow journalists, managers etc...

The problem: I hate to read.

I blame school. Being somewhat of an overachiever, school stressed me out. Reading equaled studying and retaining in my mind--and I studied a lot in college. My comprehension style was to totally get it or totally not. It was A's or F's and I preferred A's.

Since graduating, I've tried to ease myself back into reading, mostly with some light chick lit here and there. Really quality inspiration, you know. Oh yeah, plus I read/edit the entire magazine I work for about five times each issue. After staring at piles of proofs and my computer screen all day, I really really don't feel like reading to better myself once I get home.

Then I stumbled upon an interview in another magazine. It drew me in. The writer weaved interview and real-life scenarios to communicate the artist's story brilliantly. It reminded me of why I got into writing. I LOVE telling people's stories. Listening to their passions, their hurts and triumphs and communicating that clearly for others to be inspire by or learn from.

I've also picked up some delightfully well-researched books and even found some friends that speak from the heart through their blogs... and yeah, I have really been motivated to try and become a better writer by making myself become a better reader. haha All that advice was bound to sink in someday.

The magazine I work for is great, but in my position I don't get to write my own stuff very much. I have to get back to it...

So here I am, launching a grown-up blog, sending my thoughts out into the void, because I NEED to write.

So good night, sweet void. I'll write to you again soon.

3 comments:

AJ Fabulous said...

Hooray for blogging! I am not a reader either! It always drives me crazy when people are like..."You NEED to read this book". I know they are being nice...but I want to scream..."I DON'T WANT TO READ SO SHOVE IT!" :)

Uhmanduh said...

I disagree: To be a good writer, you have to be a writer.

I love to read. But that doesn't change the fact that writing for me--at this point in time--is like trying to get blood from a stone.

I read a quote recently that said, "If you want to be a writer, what's stopping you?" I can't tell you. But if you love it, keep writing!

marcia said...

Haha true.
I want to tell these reading-pushers: "Why don't you have someone come out with a concept record celebrating the point the book is trying to make. Make sure it has some nice radio-friendly hooks. Thanks. My friend AJ will service it for you."
:)