Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Ladies and gentlemen of the class of '97

Wear sunscreen.

If I could offer you only one tip for the future, sunscreen would be it.

The long-term benefits of sunscreen have been proved by scientists, ............
whereas the rest of my advice has no basis
more reliable than my own meandering experience.

(Geoff and I learned this one the hardway this weekend... we went to Huntington Beach on a nice, not so hot today ... and got fried. I put some sunscreen on, but the back of my legs are lobster-riffic; Geoff got hit even worse. It is now Monday night and my legs are still swollen/hurts to walk... he can barely move. Please post your sympathies.... now.)

Maybe you have a trust fund. Maybe you'll have a wealthy spouse.
But you never know when either one might run out.

Don't mess too much with your hair or by the time you're 40 it will look 85.

Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it.

Advice is a form of nostalgia. Dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal,
wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it's worth.

But trust me on the sunscreen.

-Baz Luhrman

2 comments:

erika said...

philip's skin rejects sunscreen. we put like SPF 50 on him, and he gets fried anyway. it's hopeless.

Uhmanduh said...

When using sunscreen, I have to reapply whenever I even start to feel warm. And the amt of time it lasts is never the same--maybe relating to the heat index?